|This article is about the mobile crane. For the crane world structure, see Stationary Crane.|
|“||The Basset Motor Society's Class 2 Mobile Auto-Crane is used to lift and reposition vehicles and very heavy equipment.||„|
|— In-game description|
The Crane can lift and move any packaged shippables (containers, shippable crates, packaged vehicles, emplacements, Concrete Mixers, etc ). It has 2 seats: 1 driver/operator and 1 passenger. The vehicle has no weaponry. You can build a crane with a Hammer and Basic Materials when next to any friendly world base like a Town Base, Relic Base, or even a next to Deployed Landing Ship.
It can also be used to transport by itself any shippable that could fit on a Flatbed Truck, by undeploying its arm while carrying said shippable, but this is unfavourable over long distances, as the Crane consumes a decent amount of fuel and is very slow.
Despite its robust look, the crane is isn't armored and can easily be destroyed with small arms. However, even when disabled, it is still able to move shippables around.
Operating the Crane
To lift a load, the Crane must first be deployed (default key
F) on stable, flat ground to extend the crane arm. The game will tell you to move to flat ground if you are not already. Then, hold down
RMB to move the crane arm. While the arm is moving, an icon will show on the ground directly below the crane hook.
When aiming said icon above a shippable, it will change icon to a set of gears. When using
LMB, it will pick up the shippable. You can then deposit it on the ground, on a loading zone, or into a shipping vehicle by pressing
LMB again. Vehicles that can carry shippables are: Flatbed Truck, Barge, and Freighter. To deposit the shippable on those special spots, you'll need to aim the crane arm on it until your icon becomes a double gear icon then press
If you deposit a shippable on a loading zone linked to a building, this will automatically open the building's menu to interface with it.
Cranes are one of the most useful vehicles to have on a map, however, they are also the slowest vehicle in the game and consume a lot of fuel, as such you don't want to move them around too much and it would be preferable to have multiple spread out in strategic places. Having cranes situated at each major resource locations (such as Salvage fields) is favourable, as using containers and Flatbed Trucks to transport raw resources is very efficient.
It is possible to stack two containers vertically for better storage by packaging both containers and then placing one on top of the other.
- All land vehicles can be packaged except for Construction Vehicles, Bicycles, Transport Buses, Flatbed trucks, and Cranes.
- The crane can undeploy and drive while holding any shippable except for large packaged vehicles that do not fit on a Flatbed (Trucks, Tanks, Half-Tracks, etc...).
- Never lock a crane unless you're going to use it in the next 5 or so minutes.
- Deployed or not, if a crane is destroyed while holding cargo, the cargo will also be destroyed and not dropped.
- Cranes can't be operated on a barge if the barge's ramp isn't lowered.
- The lifted shippable is incorporeal if it comes in contact with any vehicle or players, it will become translucent and pass through it without problems.